An Indian boy - Arshid Ali Khan, 13 - is worshipped in the state of Punjab because he has a 7in 'tail'.
  • Arshid Ali Khan has been hailed a reincarnation of the Hindu god Hanuman
  • Local people believe their wishes will come true if they visit him
  • But, Arshid is considering surgery to remove the tail and help him walk
  • He has not been formally diagnosed but could have a type of spina bifida
An Indian teenager is worshipped as a god because he has a 7ins 'tail'.

Arshid Ali Khan, 13, has become a divine symbol in the state of Punjab.

Locals have hailed him a reincarnation of the Hindu monkey god Hanuman - and refer to him as Balaji.

However, Arshid has to use a wheelchair and he is considering having the 'tail' removed.

He said: 'This tail has been given to me by God. I am worshipped because I pray to god and the wishes of people come true.

'I feel neither good nor bad about having a tail.'

Arshid lives with his grandfather, Iqbal Qureshi, and two uncles, after his father died when he was four and his mother remarried.

Mr Qureshi, a music instructor, said: 'When he spoke for the first time at the age on one all he spoke was the names of Gods from different religions.

'It was that day I realised that he had something divine and godly about him.'


Some people believe that if they worship Arshid their wishes will come true.
He added: 'It does not matter whether we are Muslims or Hindus, I think there is just one path for spiritualism.'

Arshid's home has been converted into a temple where his devotees come to visit him to receive his blessings and touch his 'tail'.

'A lot of people's wishes have come true after they have visited,' claimed Mr Qureshi.

'Sometimes there are childless couples who come to Balaji for help. He blesses them, and often they are then able to conceive.'

However, Arshid often struggles to balance his time with his faithful devotees and attending school and playing with his friends.

He said: 'Mostly on weekdays I have to go to school but when I have a school holiday on Sunday around 20 to 30 people come to see me at my home.'

He added: 'No one teases me. Everybody wants to see my tail and so they keep asking.'

Arshid struggles to walk and is considering having the 'tail' surgically removed.